Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Hate Myself for Loving You

Quote of the Day

"I hate myself for loving you
Can’t break free from the things that you do
I want to walk, but I run back to you
That’s why I hate myself for loving you”
Joan Jett


I was watching the Life and Death of Anna Nicole Smith on Entertainment channel. They said that she and Larry Birkhead had a tempestuous relationship. They fought hard and made up, then fought again. They hated each other. And, they loved each other at the same time.
What causes relationships like that to exist? I think we have all known people who keep getting back together despite all evidence to the contrary that they should stay away from each other. I have had the experience myself and can understand the cycle. I’m not quoting any scientific studies, but I think it stems from a physical addiction to that person that is a lot like an addiction to anything else. It is a chemical reaction, the magnet and steel theory, dueling pheromones. It’s the physical reaction in the body that makes you crave a chocolate bar, a drink, a certain someone. Just as you feel failure for eating that cake, the remorse sets in that you went back to that person.
Unfortunately, relationships like these are based in the physical plane. You know the person is not good for you, but you are powerless over the effect they have on you. You can have it all made up in your mind that you want it over, but as soon as they walk in the room, your resolve fades away and you fall back into the same old habit.
How can you get out of this cycle? I don’t know. It’s not an easy question to answer. I suppose when they find cures for addictions, you can take a pill that will stop you from over eating, smoking, and falling into senseless relationships. Wouldn’t that be a miracle cure?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like this. It's kind of funny that I happened upon this entry by going to your blog instead of mine by mistake...but I am in one of these relationships and I like your thoughts on the addiction aspect. :)